Thursday 21 March 2013

Chorizo and chickpea thingy

Sometimes I browse for something delicious and inspiring, sometimes I have a craving for a particular thing and go out to get the ingredients for it, and sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.

Money's tight at the moment thanks to some unexpected vehicular expense and we're going away at the weekend so we want to save our funds for that rather than spending money on ingredients.  Plus I'm working nights at the moment so I don't have the get-up-and-go to get to the shops.


If you regularly find yourself in that depressing situation where the wallet's empty but there's still a week to go before payday, my advice is to keep a well-stocked store cupboard and freezer.  I find it very reassuring to know that I could make a week's worth of (perhaps slightly repetitive) meals from what's in stock without spending a penny.

Digging in the freezer, I found some cooking chorizo.  There are always a couple of tins of chickpeas in the cupboard, which seemed like a good combination.

So, over a low heat, gently sweat some chopped shallots (because that's what we had - an onion would be fine instead) and add the chopped chorizo.  I love the way the oil turns red and flavours the onion.

When the chorizo is nicely browned, drain your tin of chickpeas and add them to the pan.  These happen to be brown chickpeas, but normal ones are fine.


Ordinarily I would have used a tin of tomatoes (something else that you should always have in the cupboard), but we had a big bag of fresh ones so I used them.  You really should skin them first but life's too short.


Add some rosemary, a bit of chilli heat if you want, and leave to simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes or so.


Due to a miscommunication where my girlfriend and I each thought we were responsible for buying eggs we've got loads at the moment so I served it with a fried egg on top.


It's quite filling enough as it is but if you really want to add carbs this would be nice with patatas bravas, or maybe some nice bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment