Saturday 14 December 2013

Lasagne Fail

Tiny kitchen in the new flat, a couple of injuries which prevented me from cooking, stuff going on in life elsewhere...  It's bad form to start a blog post with an apology for the gap since the last one but the sad fact is I haven't been cooking much from scratch lately.  I suddenly started missing it though, so here goes.

I wanted to make a big lasagne today as I have night shifts coming up and the freezer is a bit Mother Hubbard.  Homemade food is one of the things that makes nights bearable so I really wanted a freezer full of tupperwares.

All was going well until I took the pack of lasagne down from the store cupboard and found this.  It's not something I make very often, so it can run low without me noticing.


I posted something on Facebook and my friends came up with a couple of awesome solutions:
  • Make moussaka instead, if you have an aubergine in the fridge
  • Make pasticcio instead
Personally I've never had an aubergine in the fridge but we've all got our little quirks...


My solution: Cook up a batch of whatever other pasta was in the cupboard (penne, as it happens), mix it in with the ragu, and just cover with those lonely sheets of lasagne.


I'm not quite sure what to call my finished product, beyond "cheesy ragu pasta bake type thing," but it tasted good and I really enjoyed making it.

Here it is before and after baking.



An economical meal, too - 120g or so penne, three lasagne sheets, 500g really top quality local beef mince from a local farm, a glass of red wine, an onion, some mushrooms and a carrot - call it a tenner absolute tops - and this made five portions and the difference between enjoying my nights (sounds weird, I know, but I do like working nights) and dreading them.

No plated photos because I just glopped it out like I usually do and also because this.

Enjoy your home cookery, do it cheaply and well, don't worry about the presentation... just get cooking from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment