Wednesday 14 December 2011

Braised featherblade beef

I'm really enjoying the Hairy Bikers' current series, Best of British.  I always like them - their cheery enthusiasm just makes you want to join in, and their food is almost always really good home cooking - just the sort of stuff that I want to do.

I was almost drooling when I watched the episode on slow cooking, and bookmarked the recipes for future use.  I wasn't expecting to find feather blade steak on sale locally so I was dead chuffed to find it on the Hunts Hill Farm stall at the Farmers' Market - and even more chuffed to see it on the butchers' counter at Waitrose!

Hunts Hill are one of my favourite suppliers at the Farmers' Market, with old-fashioned cuts at appropriate prices, and they wanted a mere £3.96 for three steaks, of which we ate two today.  Don't they look good!



I won't go through the whole thing as I followed the Hairy Bikers' recipe to the letter, but served it on swede-and-carrot mash (because that's what we had from the veg box).


I'm not blowing my own trumpet here - all I did was follow the instructions - but I cannot begin to tell you how good this was.  The meat was so tender we ate with a spoon (in order to get all the gravy).

Like I say, I followed the instructions but this would work just as well in the slow cooker.  Featherblade is the way forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment