Thursday 19 April 2012

Courgette and rice filo pie

The combination of weekly veg box and copy of Veg Every Day is working well.  There were a couple of courgettes left in the fridge from last week, and rather than doing ratatouille again we went to the index and hit upon this lovely looking filo pie.


I must admit I didn't think this was going to work, as you put the uncooked rice into the pie filling and let it cook in the oven in the water that comes out of the courgettes.  I chose the rice with the shortest cooking time out of the various varieties that I have in the stock cupboard, followed the instructions to the letter (halving all the quantities and substituting dried herbs for fresh - you can only realistically use fresh herbs if you have a herb garden, there's no point buying them from the supermarket).

Cracking the pie open after the 45 minute cooking time from the book was a disappointment...  the rice was nowhere near cooked.

After one hour and fifteen minutes, the top was a bit crispier than I'd have liked, but the rice was finally cooked.  I still can't quite believe that it cooked at all, it does seem like magic!  I might part-cook the rice before putting it in the filling next time though.


This was really tasty, but I'd probably up the quantity of cheese next time.  Having said that, the portions were extraordinarily generous - we halved the quantities from the book and neither of us was able to finish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment