Thursday 2 August 2012

Festival Food

It's August, which means only one thing - festivals!  I'm going to two this year, Wickham and Cropredy.  I've been a regular at Cropredy since 2000 or thereabouts but this will be my first Wickham and I'm really hoping the food there will not only live up to the excellent standards I expect from Cropredy but, being in the foody county of Hampshire, maybe even exceed them.

I also go to a number of what you might consider to be more masculine events, air shows and motor racing, where I'm always massively disappointed by the food.  This year at the Farnborough Air Show, for example, I spent seven quid on the crappiest hog roast I've ever encountered: what was apparently boiled pork and Paxo stuffing served in a truly horrible Chorleywood bap (advertised as a baguette) which quickly became so saturated in the water coming off the pork that I was soon holding something with the taste and texture of a kitchen roll that had been dropped in a puddle.  Even if I'd been enjoying it enough to finish it, it had disintegrated so far as to be indistinguishable from the cardboard serving tray it came in before I could.

The food at Cropredy, on the other hand, is uniformly excellent despite coming out of caravans and I have high hopes for Wickham so my intention this year is to send a quick post from my phone about every meal I have at both festivals.

I've never blogged from my phone before and I don't know if I've got enough battery to last the weekend but I will make every attempt!

No comments:

Post a Comment